Sunday 28 June 2015

My Open University Experience

corporate logo









For the past 3 years I have been studying with the open university, those who aren't from the UK though it is in many countries around the world its where you get your degree online but also have classes in actual universities too once a month.

I am studying a BA honours in business studies its this time next year I will be graduating, in total I'm doing 9 modules ranging from level one which is entry level then level 2 and the final level 3.

I have been doing 2-3 modules a year usually starting in October and April time modules range in price with each level from £450-£1125 at the higher levels. they also change price depending which country you live in even though England and Wales are in the UK both may pay different amounts
.
As I earn under £16000 I get to have most of my modules paid for me and I get a course grant on top of that which is around £1000 for the year.

How it works a few weeks before the modules start you get the text books delivered to you, you get a online student account are given a tutor and a group of students that you will be interacting with on your module. there are several tutor groups for the module you do and you can interact with other student tutor groups in the student online cafe as they call it asking questions etc on several of the modules I have done there's been a facebook group setup nothing to do with the OU them selves just students who want to chat more and get a better understanding of the module its been really helpful every ones really supportive of each other and you can ask the  dumb questions you may not feel like asking on the OU site its self.

On the modules I've been doing I've done 2-6 TMA tutor marked assessments over the 6 months which are essays and reports based on the book you have been studying and then you either have an EMA end of module assessment online they give you questions you do an essay or report and then email it your tutor and other people mark it or you do an exam in person at a location closet to you.

Tutors have been hit and miss for me they don't do it as a full time job so some of mine have been hard to contact they don't really have an interest in how students do and there's not much interaction with them and others have been really helpful at the end of the phone when you need them and encouraging.


Pros

* If your earning under 16kyou can get most of your degree paid for you no debt when you leave that's a big plus for me.

* Great online support from other students

* You cant fit it around work so earning at the same time

Cons

* Tutors are hit and miss some are great some not so much

* With studying at home on your own it is hard to find the motivation and time

I  hope this has given you a little insight to the open university I will pop their link below so you can go check it out if you are interested and if you have any questions for me pop them in the comments below and I will answer them.

Thanks for stopping by

Peanut xx


http://www.open.ac.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment